Tzu Chi Secondary School
Curriculum / Kurikulum
- Tzu Chi Secondary School is composed of grades 7-12.
- Students in grades 7-10 follow the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program (IBMYP) which prepares students for their DP studies.
- Students in grades 11-12 follow the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (IBDP) which is a highly respected and valued pathway for entry to universities worldwide.
- Tzu Chi Secondary School is an IB World School and is authorized to run the MYP and the DP.
- Tzu Chi Secondary School is also legally registered as an SP School in Indonesia (Satuan Pendidikan Kerjasama - previously known also as International School)
International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program (MYP)
at Tzu Chi School
The MYP curriculum is designed for students in Grades 7-10 to develop excellent learning skills and habits, whilst developing self-confidence and a thorough understanding of their academic subjects.
The MYP aims to develop active learners and internationally minded young people who can empathize with others and pursue lives of purpose and meaning. The programme empowers students to inquire into a wide range of issues and ideas of significance locally, nationally and globally. The result is young people who are creative, critical and reflective thinkers.
Students study the core subjects of Maths, Science and Languages as well as a wide range of subjects such as History, Geography, Design, Computers, Art, PE. They will also complete a research project (Personal Project) in Grade 10 and carry out service projects within the community.
Research shows that students participating in the MYP:
- Build confidence in managing their own learning
- Learn by doing, connecting the classroom to the larger world
- Outperform non-IB students in critical academic skills
- Consistently have greater success in IB Diploma Programme examinations
- Thrive in positive school cultures where they are engaged and motivated to excel
- Develop an understanding of global challenges and a commitment to act as responsible citizens.
International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (IBDP)
The IB Diploma programme is designed for students in Grades 11 – 12 who will be entering university. The programme aims to develop students who have excellent breadth and depth of knowledge - students who flourish physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically.
The IB Diploma is one of the most highly regarded programmes in the world and successful students have gained entry to prestigious universities. For example, Oxford, Cambridge and the Russell Group in the United Kingdom, Ivy League in the United States, University of Sydney and Melbourne in Australia and University of Indonesia.
Students study six subjects that can be chosen from six subject groups* in addition to the core elements of:
- Theory of Knowledge Course – requires students to reflect on the nature of knowledge, and on how we know what we claim to know.
- Extended Essay – an independent, self-directed piece of research, finishing with a 4,000-word essay.
- Creativity, Activity and Service – involves students in a range of creative, health and service activities alongside their academic studies.
The student's subject selection is based on a few considerations such as their grades and performance in the MYP, their teacher's recommendations, as well as their plans for university and prospective major after they graduate from Senior High School.
*IBDP Subjects Offered at Tzu Chi School
For more information on the IB Diploma programme go here: http://ibo.org/programmes/diploma-programme/
For more information on the IB Middle Years programme go here: http://ibo.org/programmes/middle-years-programme/
Ren Wen Curriculum Outline / RINGKASAN KURIKULUM BUDAYA HUMANIS TZU CHI
What is Tzu Chi Ren Wen (Humanistic) Education? We nurture every student to become an educated and intelligent person who will serve as a role model and a pillar of society. Tzu Chi Humanistic Education includes moral education, environmental education, life education, which are nurtured through the practice of tea ceremonies, flower arrangement and Chinese calligraphy.
Encourages self-discipline in daily life, such as eating and social etiquette, clean and neat clothing, living and leading a dignified and active and healthy lifestyle. Raise the consciousness, perception, and value system of moral character-demonstrating moral emotions such as self-esteem, empathy, and self-control. And show moral actions in life, including knowing, and doing good.
The theme-based learning method allows students to understand and care about environmental issues, cultivating student's awareness of environmental protection, energy conservation and carbon reduction in student's and their family's daily lives.
Learn to cherish and respect life through real-life stories and experiences and be grateful for their parents and teachers, and to enlighten studnets to develop a healthy body and mind.
Through the tea ceremony, students can cultivate the beauty of life, learn respectful etiquette, and develop a stable mind. The etiquette is displayed in the actions of the tea ceremony, and the connotation of Jing Si aphorism is used to improve the moral cultivation of students.
Students realize, and are grateful for, the truth, goodness and beauty of life through flowers and plants, inspiring students to reflect on themselves and mutual respect between people and the enviromment.
Through the experience and practice of calligraphy writing, students can feel a sense of inner peace, learn to control their emotions, and cultivate a strong character.
Therefore, in the Tzu Chi Humanistic curriculum, the concepts of morality, etiquette, filial piety, cooperation, and helping others emphasized in Chinese culture combine with gratitude, respect and love are displayed in the school and service activities.
Indonesian National Curriculum (UN) / Kurikulum Nasional Indonesia
Starting the academic year 2021-2022, Indonesian students are not sitting for the Indonesian National Examination (UN - Ujian Nasional) anymore. The Indonesian Ministry of Education has launched the Minimum Competency Assessment (AKM - Asesmen Kompetensi Minimum) that is designated for the students of grade 5, 8, and 11. The assessments are in the form of surveys for chosen students. The students are selected by the Indonesian National Education System (Dapodik - Data Pokok Pendidikan)
Tzu Chi Secondary School - is registered as SPK School (SPK - Satuan Pendidikan Kerjasama) - is also delivering Religion subject (Pelajaran Agama dan Budi Pekerti) and Pendidikan Pancasila as compulsory subjects for all Indonesian students.
Community Service / PELAYANAN MASYARAKAT
All students engage in regular Service activities, which form an important element of learning and character development. There are seven key Learning Outcomes of service (taken from the IB Diploma Programme CAS Guide). Service as Action in the MYP also follows these outcomes in order to prepare the students for DP CAS.
- Identify their own strengths and develop areas for growth.
- Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process.
- Demonstrate how to initiate and plan a CAS (service) experience.
- Show commitment to and perseverance in CAS (service) experiences.
- Demonstrate the skills and recognize the benefits of working collaboratively.
- Demonstrate engagement with issues of global significance.
- Recognize and consider the ethics of choices and actions.